Monday, January 18, 2010

Dynamic Duo

I had another day with both my horses, today. After watching some videos on ParelliTube of Parelli Students with their horses, I wanted to go out and play with my two. I have high goals, but today was not intended to be a teaching day, just a day to work on harmony between the two.

If anyone thinks it is hard to get a beautiful relationship going with a horse, I will match your horse and raise you a second that does not get along with the first in any sense of the phrase. I am not saying a I had a bad day, or that I did not make progress, though. There was much less animosity between Misty and Blu. She did not bite him once while we were all working together. In fact, it was quite a nice two hours.

Both of them saw me and came to the fence when they saw me. I had basically every line and stick we own out there to choose from. Once we were all in the North Pasture, I gave them treats when they both arrived before me. Misty took her time coming over the first time, but the second, they stayed together pretty well.

Before I go on to how I haltered them, played with Blu, played with the ball, played with a jump, the pedestal, got on Misty and played with Blu, did flying lead changes on Misty, jumped off Misty to give Blu a cookie for laying down, played chase with Blu and Misty, put Blu back (and in the process attacked Misty and advanced the Spanish Walk), played chase with Misty to get her draw better for the weave, and finally sat on the pedestal with her thinking, let me say these things: today, I have left with a less than satisfying feeling. I know we did some amazing things--today was the first day that I asked for flying lead changes in a long time and Misty did them pretty effortlessly--but there was something missing. I don't know what. I think I am upset about the week starting up again...but I don't know. Maybe it was because I felt a disconnect with Misty, today. The tiniest bit less drawn, today. I still just can't shake that feeling, though. I suppose that perhaps, I did not make a big enough step, today, and now I am disappointed and feel that my "epic streak" is over.

I will not record what I did for this session, now, because I have a lot of work to do. I wish I had someone to talk this out with, right now.

Natural Horsewoman Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a young horsewoman with a million things on my mind. I have been a student of the horse all my life. As a little girl, I had a desire to understand horses on deeper levels. I believed that there was no such thing as a bad horse, and I believed that all horses were beautiful. One might say that I was a naive child, but I guess I don't have an excuse anymore, because I still believe all of that, and Parelli Natural Horsemanship is helping expand on this perspective.

What We Are Currently Playing With

  • Moving Close Circles at Liberty
  • Soft, Balanced Canter on 45' Line
  • Zone 5 Driving