Thursday, January 21, 2010

how I haltered them, played with Blu, played with the ball, played with a jump, the pedestal, got on Misty and played with Blu, did flying lead cha...

"how I haltered them, played with Blu, played with the ball, played with a jump, the pedestal, got on Misty and played with Blu, did flying lead changes on Misty, jumped off Misty to give Blu a cookie for laying down, played chase with Blu and Misty, put Blu back (and in the process attacked Misty and advanced the Spanish Walk), played chase with Misty to get her draw better for the weave, and finally sat on the pedestal with her thinking"

This is from January 15th, when I did not have time to record the session.

I let Blu into the north pasture, first. Before I ever thought of haltering them, I stood and waited for them both to come to me so I could give them a cookie (that is a good way to start things when you have a moody mare and an obnoxious gelding) for standing together peacefully. Then, I went to the halters and they both followed. For Blu, I sat on my knees and waited for him to be an active participant in putting on the halter. After it was on, I rubbed his face and he enjoyed that. For Misty, I stood by her, waited for her to stop eyeballing my hands ("Cookie?" eyes), and then put the halter on standing up. When we were done, I tossed a cookie on the ground for her to find.

I played with Blu with the ball, with a jump, and the pedestal. Blu was cooperative and playful.

I got on Misty and played with Blu at liberty. Then I did flying lead changes on Misty when Blu wandered off. I had not planned to, but the opportunity presented itself and Misty was feeling very united, so...

I jumped off Misty when I saw Blu digging in the snow and about to lay down. I wanted to give Blu a cookie for laying down. Once he got up, I played chase with Blu and Misty. Once they were cooperating with each other and chasing me together, I put Blu back. I had to attack Misty when she came at Blu. Once Blu was on the South side, I still felt connected to him, so I walked into his side and ran around with him and advanced the Spanish Walk.

When I went back to the North pasture, I played chase with Misty to get her draw better for the weave. She was still not connect 100%, though, so I finally sat on the pedestal and let her relax with me for a while.

Natural Horsewoman Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a young horsewoman with a million things on my mind. I have been a student of the horse all my life. As a little girl, I had a desire to understand horses on deeper levels. I believed that there was no such thing as a bad horse, and I believed that all horses were beautiful. One might say that I was a naive child, but I guess I don't have an excuse anymore, because I still believe all of that, and Parelli Natural Horsemanship is helping expand on this perspective.

What We Are Currently Playing With

  • Moving Close Circles at Liberty
  • Soft, Balanced Canter on 45' Line
  • Zone 5 Driving