Saturday, July 17, 2010

Music in the Air

Official Records Information
Blu, 7-17-10, afternoon, 1 hour
Misty, 7-17-10, evening, 1 hour 30 minutes

I was at work from 7:20 a.m. to 12:40 p.m. and then from 2:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. In between shifts and directly after the evening shift, I went to the farm to play with the horses. I am glad I have my driver's license and the Barnkat to get me from work to home so quick. I was also in the mood to play. A few times these past few weeks, I have been so tired that I just could not get into the right frame of mind to do anything but collapse into bed.

Both times, the horses were out back eating grass, so I had to bring up the horse I wanted. Also, today I rode with the MP3 player. I highly recommend riding with music because it provides artistic inspiration, lightens your mood, and gets you into rhythm.

I suppose all things begin with the beginning, so that is where I will start. I had a plan in my head to ride Blu freestyle (specifically bareback on a loose rein in the natural hackamore with a carrot stick and neck string as support) while doing the million transitions (a transition every time the music's tempo changed). So, off I went to the back pasture, halter and 12' line in hand.

Blu, Hoosier, and Ginger were in their own little herd. Hoosier was the zone one, Ginger was zone 5. Blu preferred to stay with the herd, rather than break away and come to me. Interestingly enough, Ginger was very drawn to me. I decided this was a good thing, because without Ginger, the herd would most likely not take off at a canter or gallop. With Hoosier leading, the fastest the two would go was a lively jog. So, I haltered Ginger. I was very gentle and I put my heart into it. I respected any thresholds and did approach and retreat if needed. I was able to maintain connection with the two-gelding herd all the way to the South Pasture, which is where I easily drew Blu to me and haltered him.

I quickly tested his sensitivity and responsiveness, then I played a long distance stick to me on a circle--that is, had him mirror my movements in each gait the way I would be asking when he is right next to me.

And so unfortunately, I don't remember what went on with Misty or even how the rest of Blu's session went. I think I rode Blu and did one million transitions with the transitions being when the music's tempo changed. . . how sad.

Natural Horsewoman Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a young horsewoman with a million things on my mind. I have been a student of the horse all my life. As a little girl, I had a desire to understand horses on deeper levels. I believed that there was no such thing as a bad horse, and I believed that all horses were beautiful. One might say that I was a naive child, but I guess I don't have an excuse anymore, because I still believe all of that, and Parelli Natural Horsemanship is helping expand on this perspective.

What We Are Currently Playing With

  • Moving Close Circles at Liberty
  • Soft, Balanced Canter on 45' Line
  • Zone 5 Driving