Sunday, July 25, 2010

Too Much Bleach.

Official Records Information:
Misty
7-25-10
afternoon
20 minutes

Today was a two shift work day. Yesterday, I did not even have time to come home between my 2 shifts--I left the house at 7:15 a.m. and got home at 10:00 p.m. No horses yesterday! I got to the farm today and had hardly any time to do anything, so I started with a plan in my head to work on some of my horse homework. Well, little by little, as Misty was not wanting to be caught, I changed that plan, and it finally ended up being this:

catch Misty
tie her to the fence
tend to her hock wound (it's almost healed)
detangle her two witch's knots
fly spray her

Misty was not running away, but she was not coming to me. I played with the halter with approach and retreat and she was putting her head away from me a lot--also going a bit introverted at times. At one point when she had been introverted for a while, I began to do approach and retreat with her teats. She has gotten to the point where she will not kick out violently, but it is still not her favorite place for me to have my hands. Slowly, she came out of her introversion: she started to blink; she stomped at flies again, which she had been ignoring; she swished her tail at me. As my approach became cleaning her teats off, I found an itchy spot down there.

Now, Misty's head is VERY itchy. She will target a still stranger and go rub her face all over their back. Other than that, it is rare to see Misty making faces while you scratch her. Well, she was absolutely enthralled. She began to stretch her back legs out (park out, that is) and her neck was super arched--the whole 9 yards. I could have caught her sooner, but I was pretty happy that Misty's least favorite place for me to touch just became her favorite place.

By the time I got to the fence, I only had time to spray her belly, put dermagel on her hind leg, and spray her mane with detangler. My mom detangled her mane for me after I left. I was pretty happy from that itchy spot discovery, though, so no big deal, here.

Natural Horsewoman Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a young horsewoman with a million things on my mind. I have been a student of the horse all my life. As a little girl, I had a desire to understand horses on deeper levels. I believed that there was no such thing as a bad horse, and I believed that all horses were beautiful. One might say that I was a naive child, but I guess I don't have an excuse anymore, because I still believe all of that, and Parelli Natural Horsemanship is helping expand on this perspective.

What We Are Currently Playing With

  • Moving Close Circles at Liberty
  • Soft, Balanced Canter on 45' Line
  • Zone 5 Driving