Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dawn, At Last, after a Long, Long Dark

Today I had my first good session since I have been feeling extremely "off" to say the least.

I will cut straight to the chase: I worked on the 12' line (my 22' is in the wash and I was not going to do 45' in the mud) with Misty. She did not immediately approach me and I had to spend some time attracting her to me (not by yielding her, just being interesting).

I went slow and relaxed a lot, which was easy to do since it was SO warm and sunny out. I waded through the foot deep draining pool/pond and she came with me after some checking out--I was happy with her effort. We walked to a set up of barrels and I was playing the yoyo game with her straddling a ground pole between her right and left legs and she did it perfectly without me fiddling around trying to get her to understand what I was thinking--like she saw what would be the reasonable thing to do. Then I lifted my right, and she thought for a moment, and then went sideways, carefully stepping over the ground poles. After she came in, I yoyoed her out again and was more clear about pointing so she knew to start circling...and the good stuff kept coming. Later I stepped onto a barrel and she sidepassed to me before I even asked.

The main point was that she was trying to jump the moon for me today (relative to what I was expecting since it has been so long since I had a good length session with a good mood...I was so impressed by Misty's attitude as I had expected something more along the lines of constantly not cooperating, wanting to leave, etc. I guess that is just what you get when you underestimate yourself and your horse

Natural Horsewoman Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a young horsewoman with a million things on my mind. I have been a student of the horse all my life. As a little girl, I had a desire to understand horses on deeper levels. I believed that there was no such thing as a bad horse, and I believed that all horses were beautiful. One might say that I was a naive child, but I guess I don't have an excuse anymore, because I still believe all of that, and Parelli Natural Horsemanship is helping expand on this perspective.

What We Are Currently Playing With

  • Moving Close Circles at Liberty
  • Soft, Balanced Canter on 45' Line
  • Zone 5 Driving