Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What I said to Chris- I like it.

ricochetsk wrote:
Spike did a lot of good things today, like not lose his brains too badly when the 2 horses that were in the arena at first left, came back and left again. And I still love him. But when I used the halter/hackamore, he tucks in and pushes through it, going where he wants when he gets it in his head. Same with the bitless bridle. He is still fighting the bit too, trying to pull the reins out of my hands, even with a loose rein, chomping constantly at the bit. With any of them, he can turn his head one way and go the other. I have leadership on the ground and I have a reasonable amount when riding, yet he still makes it his mission to fight me every step of the way. He will jig and spin when asking for a simple backup from in front of the wall, and I can tell he's practically gritting his teeth with determination to do what he wanted. And today, I'm sick of it.
Tomorrow are lessons and I will talk to Faith about it. Maybe I will put the hackamore back on and see what happens now that I am getting the leg cues better.

Chris



Hey, Chris,

My horses respond really well to the fluid rein when they are trying to rip the reins away. They usually only do it at shows, and it has been a long time since, but the fluid rein helps them relax and it keeps them from knocking themselves in the mouth. I know how frustrating it is, though! If it gets too bad, you could always take a time out and chill with Spike for a little so you don't loose your mind or get reactionary. There is a thread around here that is in the recent section and it is about a woman whose horse is violently throwing her head to the ground to rip the reins away . I found these things in the vault. Maybe you can find something helpful...
http://www.parellisavvyclub.com/horsemanshipquestion.faces?categoryId=51&questionId=833
http://www.parellisavvyclub.com/Download?id=454&type=D
http://www.parellisavvyclub.com/watchMedia.faces?id=90

I spent a while trying to fish these out of all the Q&As and videos. Nothing directly speaks to the horse that yanks the reins out of the rider's hands, but there are some concepts that are used in teaching collection that also help your horse with his relationship with the bit. I found the mag article particularly helpful. I am sure you may have seen them before, but looking at them in this light will maybe help you see something new and move this event from a frustration to an exciting learning experience! I hope your lesson tomorrow is especially full of revelations!!

Natural Horsewoman Out

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a young horsewoman with a million things on my mind. I have been a student of the horse all my life. As a little girl, I had a desire to understand horses on deeper levels. I believed that there was no such thing as a bad horse, and I believed that all horses were beautiful. One might say that I was a naive child, but I guess I don't have an excuse anymore, because I still believe all of that, and Parelli Natural Horsemanship is helping expand on this perspective.

What We Are Currently Playing With

  • Moving Close Circles at Liberty
  • Soft, Balanced Canter on 45' Line
  • Zone 5 Driving