Monday, January 10, 2011

High Traffic

ORI: Misty, 45 minutes, evening, 1/10/11

Misty and I went down the road about an 1/4 of a mile and then came back to the farm. I would like to try and do this every day for a week and see how much better she gets with the road. Hopefully, over the weekend we can go all the way to my house (1/2 mile from farm). Misty we not bad on the roads. She was keyed up a bit, but she was not flying off the handle. She was trying to match my relaxed demeanor. I would walk a bit fast and then she would mirror me as I slowed down. It was really nice to watch her try so hard to do what I was doing. I let her stop and eat a lot, which definitely helped her. I also gave her plenty of line and just blocked her from walking in the road if I needed to. On the way home, we crossed out of a corn field and down into a shallow ditch. There was fallen tree trunk about three feet in diameter. As I stepped onto it, she went over it. She stood up and her body was doing exactly what I was doing. It almost felt like I was riding her because she went over as slowly as I did. No qualms, very athletic. She had another shining moment when she responded to pressure properly as a giant, noisy, flapping red rig went by. Then we grazed between the neighbor’s and our pasture. After I let her go, I did about 5 minutes of liberty with her because she wanted to.

I was in a real good place, tonight, within, that is. The entire time I was with Misty, I was in a state of easy-going euphoria. My favorite part of tonight was the fallen log. We had so much synchronicity in that feat and it felt beautiful.

Natural Horsewoman Out.

Natural Horsewoman Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a young horsewoman with a million things on my mind. I have been a student of the horse all my life. As a little girl, I had a desire to understand horses on deeper levels. I believed that there was no such thing as a bad horse, and I believed that all horses were beautiful. One might say that I was a naive child, but I guess I don't have an excuse anymore, because I still believe all of that, and Parelli Natural Horsemanship is helping expand on this perspective.

What We Are Currently Playing With

  • Moving Close Circles at Liberty
  • Soft, Balanced Canter on 45' Line
  • Zone 5 Driving