Wednesday, April 28, 2010

4H workouts

I have had two 4H work outs for the 2010 season. Both were very successful with Blu. He loads very well. I just go out, put his halter on (after he comes to meet me), wrap him up while he grazes, throw the rope over his back and send him in. He just goes right in, no reserves about it.

At the first workout, I must admit, I was so proud of him. He was a different horse from what he had been at all the other workouts of his life. Usually, I loose power steering, breaks, brain...basically, he just goes to pot. I am usually just patient with him and work him around his lack of control and look really stupid (probably) to any observers. Not at this first workout.

We warmed up on the ground, first. He was bucking and running around with a lot of excitement, at first. I set him up so he was forced to change direction on the fence. Soon, he finally got relaxed. He completed figure eights on his own. For showmanship, his pivots were perfect, and his stops were snappy. His trot and set up were lacking in polish, but they were not deplorable.

I put the saddle on and he went back to being excited again, but it did not take as long to get the bucking and jumping to stop, and pretty quick, he actually looked very rideable. Forget "rideable," Blu was plain old stuff of dreams. Easy steering, easy transitions...at the end, I went around picking up all the cones up and putting in the corner of the arena. He was like a golf cart. It was great.

The next workout was not as nice, but I did not get to spend as much time as I wanted on the ground, and he had a bridle/bit on. I was still pleased with him, though!

I look forward to this new me. I am really relaxing in these situations and just taking things in stride.

Natural Horsewoman Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a young horsewoman with a million things on my mind. I have been a student of the horse all my life. As a little girl, I had a desire to understand horses on deeper levels. I believed that there was no such thing as a bad horse, and I believed that all horses were beautiful. One might say that I was a naive child, but I guess I don't have an excuse anymore, because I still believe all of that, and Parelli Natural Horsemanship is helping expand on this perspective.

What We Are Currently Playing With

  • Moving Close Circles at Liberty
  • Soft, Balanced Canter on 45' Line
  • Zone 5 Driving